All of us prefer to be focusing on family, kids, work, and when planning our savings and money, we would like to focus on the best ways to grow and protect our wealth. We get our news from sources catered to our beliefs, and the credibility of the legacy news corporations has been decimated over the last several years, and specifically during the 2016 presidential election. But, there is no escaping the Trump-Russian Collusion headlines.
In our live online event last month – “Investing in the Era of Trump” – we pointed out that no matter what the news reports, our stock market just keeps going up. And it does, even with investigations into the White House and new revelations almost daily, our market seems immune to the bad news which piles up daily.
Despite the market’s success, and the numbness we have towards the “everything Trump” media, it is important to reflect and discuss these critical issues which do impact governance, and in turn, ultimately, the marketplace. That means looking at the news from the Special Counsel’s (Robert Mueller) investigation into Russian influence on the American Presidential election.
I. What the Special Counsel Has Investigated and Discovered So Far:
- Trump-Russian collusion to steal the U.S. Presidential election. After 7 months and millions of dollars spent, the investigation has turned up ZERO evidence of collusion. To watch or read mainstream media, you would think we not only have evidence, but we should have already had a trial and conviction. But the indictments so far reflect lobbying efforts by Paul Manafort in 2012 and earlier, nothing related to the president.
- Manafort worked with Democrat lobbyist Tony Podesta on political consulting contracts in Ukraine. Failure to register as a foreign lobbyist… funneling cash (allegedly laundering) money through off-shore accounts… short-term Trump campaign manager Paul Manafort did work as a consultant for political groups in Ukraine starting in the early 2000s, and had ties to shadowy Russian businessmen. By itself, this would make for a cheap paperback spy thriller. In reality, the political work he did was ENCOURAGED by the U.S. government over the years to advance the inter-networking of global trade and finance. Manafort did this not through Trump, but with leading Democrat lobbyist Tony Podesta, whose brother was campaign chair for Hilary Clinton! The charges now are the Al Capone charges – they will go after his money to find tax evasion or some other financial crime. But to date – no evidence exists that involves Trump. All of the indictments reflect work done prior to joining the Trump campaign.
- No election interference found so far. Zero, zilch. It is possible we will still see some low-level Trump campaign staffer with emails to a Russian trying to set up a meeting. We already have that with George Papadopoulos, a low-level staffer who made numerous attempts to connect the Trump campaign with Russian intel figures, in the hopes that they had negative news on Hilary Clinton. Opposition research is expected in any campaign, but it would be problematic of accepted from foreign governments knowingly hostile to the United States. But that is not the case here – the media seems to forget to report that Trump’s legal team rebuffed Papadopoulos’s requests, and Manafort specifically stated in an email, “we are not meeting with them.” Votes changed, voters affected… there is NO evidence that Russian attempts to interfere with the election included infiltrating Team Trump, or that they succeeded in any plans to shift votes towards Trump. As it is, this would be nearly impossible in America, where information is more freely dispersed than anywhere else. The hair stylist in Youngstown, OH didn’t vote because Putin told her to.
II. What the Special Counsel SHOULD be Investigating:
- Uranium One sale to Russia. Uranium One is a Canadian company whose majority ownership is controlled by Russian interests. They have now ownership of 20% of known U.S. uranium reserves. Remember Charlie Trie anyone? Name doesn’t ring a bell? He was a Clinton bundler who went to jail for illegal campaign donations to Clinton’s 1996 Presidential campaign. He laundered millions into the country from China. Shortly after the inaugural, the Loral Satellite Corporation, a Clinton donor, illegally sold U.S. satellite designs to a Chinese firm. It was also then discovered that Clinton advisors had failed to report the theft of U.S. nuclear designs by the Chinese through a double agent named Wen Ho Lee. Now, in the first term of the Obama Administration, Bill Clinton received hundreds of millions of dollars in payments to his Foundation, and a few months later, the Obama Administration agrees, with Hilary’s approval, to a deal that will ship 20% of our annual Uranium production to Russia. This is not shadowy collusion – this is out in the open activity which threatens our very national security. And as the record reflects, these actions are not new. How there have not been arrests made on this subject is simply astonishing.
- Politicizing the government as a weapon against US citizens. The IRS belatedly admitted they profiled conservative citizens and are now agreeing to settlements with those groups. This is a welcome admission, although more firings were needed, and the primary culprits should have to forfeit some of their retirement or face some legal reckoning for their actions. But this was just one of many actions under the previous administration where U.S. citizens were targeted by the government that supposedly works for them: remember James Rosen being investigated and wire tapped? The AP wire services were also tapped. Now we have the entire government searching for ways to up-end the Trump Administration. The FBI paid for the “Steele Dossier” – which sought negative news on Trump and his campaign and turned out to be nothing more than salacious rumors and misinformation. The Dossier itself was originally commenced by a conservative paper, the Washington Free Beacon, but then was employed to the fullest extent by Hilary Clinton’s law firm Perkins Coie. Administration officials “unmasked” the names of U.S. citizens in intercepted communications… the scale and scope of government actions against our own citizens should be the subject of any and all investigations at this time.
- The real collusion may have been committed by the previous Administration. New START with no verification requirements… promise of nuclear modernization never occurred… INF Treaty violated by Russia – but no report of it to the public and no consequences… “tell Vladimir to give me some space, this is my last election” open mic comments… Uranium One… America was at risk to collusion with Russian actors for many years, yet it wasn’t Trump that was in charge.
It would take more than our weekly blog to deconstruct all the vast allegations surrounding the Russian Collusion case. And as we see, the actual evidence we have points to the Clinton team and the previous administration more than it does Trump. Either way, we are living through a very serious time with serious risks for your money.
The stock market appears to be immune to all the events surrounding us, but history tells us the market will correct. It’s only a matter of time. There are ways to preserve, protect and grow your wealth in this uncertain environment. Our advisors help people do that every single day… Call now to learn more at 877-912-1919